Tips for the Whole Season
TIP 1: BE PICKY!
Pick ONLY your favorite holiday treats
Use portion control
Skip the stuff you can live without
SELF CHECK QUESTIONS:
"Do I really really love this or should I save my indulgence for another treat/time?"
"Is this an indulgence I can eat anytime outside the holidays?"
TIP 2 FOR PETE'S SAKE GET SOME Exercise! WHY?
Relieves “holiday stress”
Helps burn off those extra calories
Careful!! keep goals realistic during holidays when you have less time and don't beat yourself up about doing a little less.
SELF CHECK QUESTION: "How can I modify my workouts to make the most of the limited time I have?"
Damage Control for Parties
- Do not skip meals the day of a holiday party to “save up” you will end up bingeing at the party..Instead, eat smaller meals prior to leave a little room for those extra calories you will be eating during the party.
TIP 4: Alcohol Counts (sorry...)
- One drink = 100-175 calories.
- Mixed drinks and cocktails may have several hundred more calories from the sugary mixers and the cream liqueurs they contain.
- And here's the deal...egg nog IS dessert, okay?
STRATEGY: Try alternating an alcoholic
drink with water or some no-cal beverage so you always have a cup in your hand and don't feel awkward or get handed another full glass of something.
TIP 5: It’s a Party! Try using your mouth more for TALKING than for chewing
- Enjoy the party by socializing rather than bingeing at the buffet table.
- Station yourself away from the food if you have a hard time not nibbling the whole time.
TIP 6: Find the good stuff
- Opt for low calorie options
- These will help fill you up with the fiber and water they contain leaving less room for the unhealthy options.
LOOK FOR: crudites, fruits, green salads, roasted vegetables, bean dip
LTIP 7: Be a "healthy" party host
- Now, before you call me crazy and imagine the family mutiny when you serve up your first "Tofurkey"...relax. I mean serve some healthy side dishes this year to create balance on the menu. Steamed veggies are a fresh taste next to that juicy steak and Martha Stewart's ridiculously good mac-n-cheese.
- While I am not a fan of low fat stuff in general-using reduced fat ingredients in dips & sauces (where it won’t affect flavor) can offer a big reduction in calories
- Serve water and unsweetened tea instead of sugary drinks-let the sugar come from the desserts!
- Plan some activities to make it fun and not all about eating.